Preserve Rhode Island announces their statewide open house of historic sites, this Saturday, May 10th.
Thresholds… Step Inside History
Saturday, May 10, 2008 from 12:00 to 3:00pm
Free Statewide Open House to highlight
Historic Sites Coalition of Rhode Island partners
Presented by Preserve Rhode Island
Join Preserve Rhode Island in celebrating National Preservation Month and Rhode Island Tourism Week by exploring your local history! Twenty-four historic sites from around the state invite you to experience Rhode Island’s unique heritage. This free event highlights several partners in the new Historic Sites Coalition of Rhode Island. Stop by one or two of your local historic sites between 12:00-3:00 pm for a tour or to view special exhibits. Participating sites are listed below by county.
Sites Particpating in Thresholds… Step Inside History
- Blithewold Mansion, Gardens & Arboretum, 101 Ferry Road, Bristol
- Bristol Statehouse, 240 High Street, Bristol
- Coggeshall Farm, 1 Colt Drive, Bristol
- Clouds Hill Victorian House Museum, 4157 Post Road, Warwick
- Pawtuxet Valley Preservation & Historical Society, 1679 Main Street, W. Warwick
- Whitehorne House, 416 Thames Street, Newport
- Wilbor House, 548 West Main Road, Little Compton
- Captain Wilbur Kelly House, Lower River Road, Lincoln
- Governor Henry Lippitt House Museum, 199 Hope Street, Providence
- Governor Stephan Hopkins House, 15 Hopkins Street, Providence
- Governor Sprague Mansion, 1351 Cranston Street, Cranston
- The Handicraft Club, 42 College Street, Providence
- Hannaway’s Blacksmith Shop, 673 Great Road, Lincoln
- Hearthside, 677 Great Road, Lincoln
- Hunt House Museum, Hunt’s Mill Road, East Providence
- John Brown House Museum, 52 Power Street, Providence
- Joy Homestead, 156 Scituate Avenue, Cranston
- Slater Mill, 67 Roosevelt Avenue, Pawtucket
- Valentine Whitman Jr. House, 1147 Great Road, Lincoln
- Gilbert Stuart Birthplace & Museum, 851 Gilbert Stuart Rd, Saunderstown
- Oliver Watson House, URI Kingston Campus, Farm House Road, Kingston
- Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, 2636 Kingstown Road, Kingston
- Smith’s Castle, 55 Richard Smith Drive, Wickford
- Westerly Armory, Railroad Avenue, Westerly
About the Historic Sites Coalition of Rhode Island
In 2007, Preserve Rhode Island, the statewide non-profit for historic preservation, initiated the Historic Sites Coalition of Rhode Island (HSCRI) to connect the stewards of historic sites that are open to the public. This network was developed to encourage discussion about common challenges and solutions, support cross-promotion, and provide interactive workshops to advance the sustainability of Rhode Island’s historic structures and unique places.
As of March 2008, forty-two historic sites from around the state have joined the HSCRI. These include a variety of sites ranging from house museums, to mills, to historical and preservation society headquarters, to a blacksmith shop, and a local library.
HSCRI members are connected through the historic sites coalition listserv, an online discussion forum, where members can ask and answer questions, post their upcoming events, share resources, and receive updates and information about workshops from Preserve Rhode Island.
For more information on this exciting event please contact Preserve Rhode Island at 401.272.5101, firstname.lastname@example.org.