India Point Park Bridge Tunnel Photos

A collection of photos I took the other day on India Street in the tunnel under the India Point Park Bridge:

IMG_0080

IMG_0076

IMG_0077

IMG_0079

IMG_0081

IMG_0082

IMG_0085

IMG_0089

IMG_0092

Photos by Jef Nickerson

9 Responses to India Point Park Bridge Tunnel Photos

1. Peter Brassard July 22, 2009 at 5:08 pm #

Nice photos. They at least thought to put a sidewalk in the tunnel, narrow as it is.

2. Marc Doughty July 24, 2009 at 9:55 am #

What’s the longevity of unshielded concrete structures in a climate with rapid freeze-thaw cycles, and abutting salt-water environments? I have a sick feeling that we’ll be rebuilding this in 30 years.

3. Jef Nickerson July 24, 2009 at 11:19 am #

When I was down taking these pictures, some people were painting something on the stairs (well, the walls along the stairs). It looked clear and I thought maybe an anti-graffiti coating of some sort. I didn’t bother to ask.

Last night I walked through on the way to the Regatta at CBC and the wall was painted pink! It looked weird, and I don’t understand why someone would do that. Maybe it is a primer of some sort, but I’m not understanding why they would paint that. Me confused.

4. Peter Brassard July 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm #

If the concrete mix was good, more protected areas could last 40 years or more. Highway designers usually consider stone lamination a luxury. On the Hutchinson River Parkway in New York, the bridges were stone laminated poured concrete and the majority of which are in great shape today since their construction in the 30s. Another good example is Route 95 Exit 1 in Hopkinton built in the early 50s. A 50 to 70 year life might justify the added costs. With all the controversy about the lack of concrete testing, I-way may not fare so well.

Has there been any indication on what will happen with all the granite blocks that comprise the retaining walls of the old highway?

5. Jef Nickerson July 24, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

There was some talk of using parts of the old highway in building the new parks on either side of the river. I can’t remember specific mention of the granite off the top of my head, but some use of crushed concrete in pathways etc.

6. Frymaster July 24, 2009 at 1:19 pm #

IPP is on one of my more frequent bike routes, so I’ve been all under those structures. One of your photos almost gets to the angle of lining up the pillars so they make a solid wall. From that perspective, this would be a great place for a piece of art that ‘works’ for a brief moment as you pass by it.

Does that make any sense? Am I clear in what I’m on about?

In any event, plain concrete = fugly. Overall, an entirely inelegant structure.

7. Andrew July 27, 2009 at 11:15 am #

I have a sick feeling the waves will be lapping right onto it in 30 years and people will be wondering what were they thinking.

8. erik August 31, 2009 at 7:32 pm #

Jef, I hope you know by now that the pink paint was the base for a mural painted as part of a summer youth employment program. Courtesy of the city and the stimulus program. It is an odd color, I agree.

9. Jef Nickerson September 1, 2009 at 11:21 pm #

Really? Having not seen the mural yet, I won’t pass judgement, but… really? What a weird place for a mural.