Resident parking signs going up

prov-bos-residentparking

Resident Parking Signs Providence left [by jwest] Boston right [(cc) rherring]

Yay! Resident parking signs have started to appear on the West Side. I just have one small nitpick, design. I say this all the time, we are home to one of the world’s most prestigious design schools and are the home to hundreds of independent designers and small design firms, but you would never know it sometimes by looking at our city streets.

It’s a small thing really, but it is the small things that add up. These are special parking spaces, and the signage should reflect that. The Boston sign above is not the peak of design excellence, but it is a unique sign that quickly states it’s message to those looking for it. Boston residents know to look for the green helvetica “Resident Permit Parking Only” signs. And they are unique enough that those not familiar with them take notice and read the message. And I feel like the message on the Providence sign should be different. “Parking by Resident Permit Only 2am – 5am,” seems more right to me. It is not, “No Parking,” parking is allowed, just not for everyone. And presumably, parking is open to anyone 5am – 2am.

Maybe I’m being overly nitpicky, but I’d like to see us as a city, step it up in the design department some.

11 Responses to Resident parking signs going up

1. WestSideJames September 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

I’ll take the ugly signs. I’m just thrilled that we actually have parking!!!!!!!

Best n’hood in PVD….West Side!!!

2. Jef Nickerson September 11, 2009 at 1:19 pm #

Indeed, rational parking regulations trump poor design, I just need to have something to complain about at all times. 🙂

3. mental757 September 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

I’m pretty sure most regulatory street signage has to adhere to federal highway standards. Not to make excuses of course…

4. Patrick Ward September 11, 2009 at 3:20 pm #

Niiiiice….on to Fox Point!

5. Tony P September 11, 2009 at 3:42 pm #

Yes it has to adhere to federal standards. Oh, the other thing, I seem to recall that the city statute must be cited on the sign. I know people who’ve gotten out of parking tickets when they mention that.

6. bonnie September 12, 2009 at 3:12 am #

I live in this area and have yet to receive any application information about applying for a permit! Have people been applying/getting permits already? Did I miss something, I’ve been searching for information on it online and haven’t found anything.

(and I agree about the design, but I’m relieved to have this moving forward regardless)

7. WestSideJames September 12, 2009 at 10:00 am #

Hi Bonnie – I spoke with the city about two wks ago and they said that once all the signs are up (probably just finished) letters will go out. I would keep an eye out over the next week or so for a letter.

8. Liriodendron September 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

poor typography ? How about INDIA POINT PARK BRIDGE ? Now, that is a BIG embarrassment…

9. Jef Nickerson September 13, 2009 at 5:49 pm #

New York clearly rolls with some non-standard No Parking signs:

Photo (cc) ianqui

Photo (cc) maura

Photo (cc) Diego_3336

Photo (cc) ianqui

I’ve always been partial to the No Parking ‘P’ with a broom through it.

States do have the right to add amendments to the federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devises or adopt their own MUTCD. This is the section on No Parking signs. I wish RIPTA would adopt the one with the bus graphic, no parking graphic, and space for the transit logo.

10. mental757 September 14, 2009 at 10:31 am #

I have seen the RIPTA no parking version somewhere in Warwick I think. Or maybe in EP on North Broadway? I definately have seen it somewhere…

1. Permit Parking Expands: Doomsday Clock Ticks Minute Closer To Midnight | Providence Daily Dose - September 11, 2009

[…] send you over to GCPVD for the exciting news that the overnight parking permit signage is popping up on the west side of […]