I kinda like potholes

Photo by Jef Nickerson

Sure, I don’t own a car, so my opinion might not mean much. But with every road in the city looking much like the surface of the Moon, traffic is moving a lot slower. The potholes are a kind of traffic calming device. I can step off the curb onto Dean Street and not get run down by someone doing 70mph to (not) make it through the yellow light.

, , , ,

10 Responses to I kinda like potholes

1. AF March 1, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Oh just wait until someone doesn’t see that pothole and you get a nice drenching in cesspooled pothole water.

Although I do love when a pothole is deep enough that you can see the underlying brick of the former road surface on some streets.

2. Jef Nickerson March 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

Oh that has already happened plenty. With the weather the last week, I’ve been basically soaked to the bone anyway. The traffic on streets like Dean Street moving at under highway speeds outweighs the filthy water splash. There’s a giant pothole in LaSalle Square that has been slowing the LaSalle Speedway traffic too (that was filled this morning though I think).

3. Corey March 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm #

I haven’t gone to check on this yet, but there was a spot at Broadway and Vinton where they tore the street up a couple weeks ago to do some sort of work underneath. The biblical apocalypse descended on us before they filled it, so all the dirt washed out, and there’s now a foot deep, 10 foot wide hole in Broadway at that corner. I hope they fill that soon, someone’s going to gut their car on it.

4. Jef Nickerson March 1, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

I’m far too lazy to walk the whatever it is handful of blocks to check it out.

5. Tony P March 1, 2010 at 11:58 pm #

And on Knight street there’s no pothole but the section near Swiss St. always floods out. If you’re walking you pay attention to oncoming cars. Luckily it’s one way over there from Atwells toward Broadway.

6. Jef Nickerson March 2, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Oh snap!

Car damaged by a pothole? Yourself damaged by a pothole? Your property (i.e. your bike) damaged by a pothole? File a claim here:

7. Weuriot March 4, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

The potholes are so big and deep that the other day i hit one and i swear i could hear someone talking in Chinese.

8. D March 22, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

Anyone with concerns about specific potholes on city streets should contact the Office of Neighborhood Services at 421-2489 and the City will dispatch a crew to repair the pothole within two business days.

Sure the city staff should know about every pothole, because they are omniscient, right? So try reporting them and see what happens, then you can complain if nothing happens.

Today, I reported 155 Power St., since I had to swerve around it. And also asked for the repaving of all of 9th St., since there are just so many patches there already. We’ll see.

9. Jim March 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

I wonder if I can report the intersection of the 10/6 exit ramp and Westminster St. There’s like 5737624382347 potholes right there.

1. Patching Patches | Greater City: Providence - April 10, 2010

[…] as I said before, I kinda like potholes. My street gets traffic, but in the grand scheme of city streets, not that much really. The traffic […]