Link

F*ck Yeah Brutalism

fuck-yeah-brutalism

A Tumblr blog devoted to brutalist buildings, you know you love it!

11 Responses to F*ck Yeah Brutalism

1. Omri August 2, 2012 at 11:31 am #

That is MIT’s student center. The architecture is brilliantly effective at making the simplest things difficult in that building. Brutalism is best enjoyed when viewed in a Quake level, not real life.

2. 10 years on Sutton August 2, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Umass Dartmouth needs to get in there

3. Peter Brassard August 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

CCRI Knight Campus is a great example with a complex interior, especially the three-story high Great Hall with its perimeter wrapped with ramps. It was wonderful building to experience, though I have no idea how it may have been modified over time.

4. I {heart} Rhody August 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I love architecture. What is this?

5. Claude Masse August 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I’m up to page 13 .Thanks a big Thanks for this collection.

6. SK August 3, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I follow that one on Tumblr. I love the photos they display!

7. benjamin August 3, 2012 at 11:20 am #

department of health building in providence is a fine, albeit kind of boring, example.

8. Sam August 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

The original Hospital Trust Tower proposal.

9. Jef Nickerson August 6, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

F*ck yeah!

10. Sam August 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

^^Still not sure how I feel about that one as a design proposal: had it been actually constructed, I think it might have been instantly repulsive and ridiculous. But as an aesthetic proposition, it’s a helluva lot stronger statement than the building that was ultimately built on the same site, which is pretty fecking wishy-washy — acceptable now because of longevity and familiarity but not to be mistaken for cutting-edge art by any means.

11. Peter Brassard August 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

It’s not unusual for building designs to simplify or dumb down as they evolve. A more likely reason why this brutalist design for the Hospital Trust Tower was rejected might be because the floor plate was too small for an office building. The tower rendering appears as if a typical floor is half or quarter the size of the current tower, which would be more appropriate for a residential building. The alternating shifting floor plates could have provided space for balconies for the floor above, if they had been apartments.