If you could buy a city street, what would you do with it?

private-street

Photo (cc) Marcin Wichary

After Brown University and then RISD made agreements with the City to acquire parts of public streets for private parking in exchange for increased payments in lieu of taxes; GoLocal Providence reports that the City will make an annoucement tomorrow that Providence College has now made a similar agreement.

So all this begs the question, if you could buy a public street, which one would you want to buy and what would you want to do with it?

, , , , , , ,

12 Responses to If you could buy a city street, what would you do with it?

1. Andrew December 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

Put in a bus rapid transit line from one end of my street to the other.

If my street runs up College Hill, I’d build a funicular.

2. Tony P December 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

Speaking of transit – I would hope RIPTA doesn’t serve any of those streets. I object to tax and fare money being used to support any street.

3. bill December 18, 2012 at 7:43 am #

I’d buy it and leave it open to the PUBLIC! I’ve noticed Park street by Vets is now a giant parking lot. Has this also been bought?

4. Jack December 18, 2012 at 9:04 am #

I definitely wouldn’t use it for parking. That’s for sure.

I’d like to make a woonerf out of Thayer street. I’d probably just eat there all day

5. Jef Nickerson December 18, 2012 at 9:12 am #

I’m pretty sure Park Street next to the Vets is just staging for construction at the Vets and will re-open when that work is complete.

6. Adam December 18, 2012 at 9:26 am #

I’d buy Washington St between Exchange and Dorrance and would open it only to food trucks and other street vendors. Second choice would be buying Harris Ave and planting some trees on the sides.

7. Runaway Jim December 18, 2012 at 9:46 am #

RIPTA runs up Huxley Ave, one of the street PC bought (though they only bought a portion of it from Eaton to the end of their property on the east side of the street). However, I think PC actually pays RIPTA to adjust their Admiral St route to go around campus rather than straight up Admiral.

8. Liam January 11, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

I would buy the street in front of my house and outlaw block parties.

9. Jef Nickerson January 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Ooh, that’s a good idear. Maybe I should buy my street and charge JWU students and Johnstonites to pee on it. I’d be rich!

1. Letter to the campus from P.C.’s President regarding their PILOT agreement | Greater City Providence - December 18, 2012

[…] See also: If you could buy a city street, what would you do with it? […]

2. City Streets for Sale in Providence | Streetsblog.net - December 18, 2012

[…] a rather alarming update from Jef Nickerson at Greater City Providence, who alerts us to one of the not-so-imaginative responses to the current fiscal distress affecting […]

3. What Cheer / What Jeer 2012 | Greater City Providence - March 9, 2014

[…] we asked what you would do if you could buy a City street, Streetsblog picked up the story and called the concept of privatizing streets for short term gain, […]