Ribbon-Cutting by Mayor Taveras of the new ‘Imagination Station’ in Burnside Park kicks off a day of events.
Mayor Angel Taveras, the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy and Southwest Airlines will unveil and open a new ‘Imagination Center’ in Burnside Park on Thursday, August 22. The Imagination Center, created with a grant from Southwest Airlines, will serve as a new place for children’s activities within Burnside Park.
The Imagination Center is a fun destination for arts and crafts, interactive play and more, bringing the local community together and enriching the current activities in Burnside Park. The Center will be surrounded by picnic tables, beanbags and a wood deck, and will also include book carts, planting beds, and an Imagination playground play set.
Mayor Angel Taveras and representatives of Southwest Airlines and the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy will hold a ribbon-cutting for the new Center at 10 a.m., kicking off a day of scheduled activities at Burnside Park.
- 10am–10:30am: Official ribbon-cutting
- 10:30am–11:30am: Join Kidoinfo Storytime with Mayor Taveras, who will read his book, How to Do Well in School, along with guests local illustrator Jen Corace and author/illustrator Alison Paul
- 11:30am–12:30pm: Participate in a Kidoinfo Art in the Park project based on Dr. Suess’ Yertle the Turtle
- 12:30pm–1pm: Enjoy complimentary PVD Pops popsicles for participating children, participate in additional art projects and receive complimentary blank books and instructions for how to make your own book
- 1pm–2pm: Experience the Imagination Playground with free play and table games for children
- 4:30pm–7:30pm: Listen to a musical performance at the Burnside Park Music Series and Beer Garden, while enjoying beverages from Trinity Brewhouse
Full disclosure, I am a member of the Board of the Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy.