PBN: Cornish Associates to redevelop Kinsley Building into apartments

Preliminary plans for the Kinsley Building call for 44 apartments in the upper floors with shops and or restaurants at ground level.

kinsley

Historic photo of the Kinsley Building

Full disclosure: I work for Cornish Associates.

11 Responses to PBN: Cornish Associates to redevelop Kinsley Building into apartments

1. Towne Street October 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Thanks Jef. I was wondering if you could share what percentage of residents living in Cornish Associates properties are living there car free.

2. Jef Nickerson October 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

I don’t think we have actual numbers on that, but there is limited parking available to tenants.

3. Towne Street October 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks. So many developments similar to Cornish’s fail to gain political support because neighbors wail about the supposed traffic they would cause. It would be nice to show that developments such as those offered by Cornish can attract residents whose transportation footprint is small and, consequently, offer proof that higher density development will not result in the ten plagues descending upon us.

4. David October 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

It’s exciting to see they aren’t trying to go for more luxury type apartments, it’ll be interesting to see what the rents will end up being.
    Also hopefully one day it won’t be almost completely surrounded by surface parking.

5. James October 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

This is exciting. Carfree (or low car), affordable apartments in downtowns really are a great idea. I hope the plan holds to that.

6. Jack T. October 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Hi Jef, any renderings? Not that I’m into that sort of thing…

7. mike October 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

full disclosure: I wouldn’t be mad if someone decided to re-design that first floor facade at all <3

8. Jef Nickerson October 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

There’s no renderings but the project received historic tax credits and a renovation of the ground floor facade will be part of that. What it will look like will likely depend a lot on what is found underneath the mess that is on there now. Historically it looked like this:

9. Michael October 9, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

Oh my gosh I cannot believe someone chose to cover that up.. it must have been during the 80s

10. Jack T. October 11, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Damn, that’s a good looking ground floor. Thanks, Jef.

11. John B October 14, 2013 at 8:00 am #

I don’t see anywhere in this post that said they would be affordable?