May 15, 2019, 4:45 PM
Doorley Municipal Building, 444 Westminster Street, First Floor
Providence, RI 02903
- Roll Call
- Approval of April 17, 2019 Meeting Minute (For Action)
- Overview of Commission Review Procedure (For Discussion)
- Mount Pleasant Avenue traffic calming – Mount Pleasant – Ward 5 (For Action) — The City of Providence Department of Planning and Development seeks comments from the BPAC regarding design plans from the Rhode Island Department of Transportation for a traffic calming project on Mount Pleasant Ave. This will be a design level review of the project and will be the final review before the Commission.
- Washington Street and Eddy Street intersection – Downtown – Ward 1 (For Action) — The City of Providence Department of Planning and Development seeks comments from the BPAC regarding conceptual plans for traffic calming at the intersection of Washington Street and Eddy Street. This will be a conceptual level review of the project.
- Announcements and Staff Updates (For Discussion)
On the Mt Pleasant traffic calming, hope the BPAC will also look at whether anything should be done to improve bike access to the adjacent Rhode Island College campus.
On the Commission procedure, to encourage more involvement, I suggest consideration of a formal “public comment” section on every agenda, though the few times I attended I had no trouble getting to make a comment.
Also I hope the BPAC does what it can to promote Providence’s Bike to Work Day celebration two days later, Friday May 17 from 7 to 9am in Burnside Park.
The conceptual proposal BPAC looked at in March had the cycle-track turning and stubbing onto College Road for future extension by RIC. I imagine we’ll continue to see that in the upcoming meeting and hopefully an extension all the way to Smith Street (which the prior concept did not have).
The “Overview of Procedure” section explains that items have presentation by staff, commission discussion, public discussion, then final discussion and motions by the commission. I can’t think of any example when we’ve reviewed something and there was not public comment. Part of the point of the commission to gather public comment.
I’m sure Bike to Work will be mentioned in Announcements.