Image from RIDOT
Traffic changes which will last for the next two years begin Wednesday (weather permitting) on Wickenden Street at South Main/Benefit Streets.
The following list highlights the changes:
Wickenden Street Eastbound
- Left lane is dedicated for turns onto South Main Street only.
- Center lane allows through traffic and left turns onto Benefit Street.
- Right lane allows through traffic only.
Wickenden Street Westbound
- Existing signal at Benefit Street remains.
- New signal at South Main Street.
- No other changes; right turns still permitted onto Benefit Street and South Main Street.
The changes are taking place so that RIDOT can move the current Exit 2 off westbound Route 195. The ramp currently continues to go over the remaining portion of the Wickenden Street overpass where it merges into South Main Street. The ramp will be moved to the south side of Wickenden and cross on the surface. Once the ramp is moved, demolition can proceed on the old Route 195.
This configuration will remain in place for approximately 2 years, at which point RIDOT will build a new intersection configuration at this location.