Click through for a larger image to read the notice. Key points:
- Construction starting this month and taking place Mon-Fri, 7am-3pm
- Upgrades to existing traffic signals within the project limits
- Road paving within the Broadway project limits and at the Pocasset Avenue/Plainfield Street intersection
- The addition of a striped bike lane in each direction within the Broadway project limits
- Replacement of existing sidewalks in poor condition within the Broadway project limits
- Coordinating the traffic signal systems on Broadway
Remember the city started planning for bike lanes in May 2008? Neither do I.
Any idea if these will be “door-zone lanes” or will they have plenty of room like the Blackstone Blvd. lanes?
Really hope they are outer bike lanes and not between traffic and parked cars. Also would be nice if it were solid painted bike lanes and not just white lines with arrows.
I was wondering what was going on with all the trees wrapped with wooden spikes… I figured that the road was being repaved, but this is even better! Great news!
The bike lanes will be between the parking lane and the travel lane, with the exception of short stretches (<1 block) by Tobey St where shared-lane markings (aka "sharrows") will be used instead. These will be the first SLMs in the city, and probably in the state.
So, it’s only a matter of time, before someone takes out a bicyclist, while trying to see beyond parked cars on Broadway, entering Broadway, from a side street? I hope they mark the crosswalks better, while they are at it.