- When: 2nd Thursday of each month through September 2011, noon-1PM
- Where: Westminster Street steps of the Arcade, 130 Westminster Street
Discover how Roger Williams’ legacy is still visible in downtown Providence today! To celebrate Providence’s 375th birthday, join The Providence Foundation and The Rhode Island Historical Society for FREE downtown lunchtime walking tours on the second Thursday of each month through September 8th. Wear comfortable walking shoes, and be ready to learn! Topics relate to the official Providence 375 themes:
- July 14: FREEDOM Roger Williams’ search for freedom, including visits to war memorials and the First Baptist Church.
- August 11: ROOTS Providence’s industrial and ethnic roots, ranging from the Irish Famine Memorial to the Roots Cafe.
- September 8: INGENUITY Creative Providence, from AS220’s properties to the RISD Library and the adaptive re-use of downtown department stores.
Reservations are not required, and tours will take place rain or shine. For more information, visit: providencedowntown.com or rihs.org. For a calendar of other Providence 375 events, visit providence375.com.