[alert type=”muted”]Date: Friday, May 16, 2014
Time: 7-10am; Mayor Taveras will speak at around 8:15am
Location: Burnside Park, rain or shine![/alert]
With spring in the air, the City of Providence and the RI Bicycle Coalition invite you to celebrate Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 16th as part of National Bike Month. Mayor Taveras urges everyone to bike to work or try cycling for fun, fitness or transportation. Free coffee and food will be provided to all participants at Burnside Park. Other activities include bike repair, vendors, and a raffle. Mayor Taveras will also announce the 2014 Providence Cyclovias!
Local sponsors include: City of Providence’s Healthy Communities Office, RI Bicycle Coalition, the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission, Dash Bicycle Shop, Greater Kennedy Plaza, Whole Foods, New Harvest Coffee Roasters, and Legend Bicycle.
Following are some tips that will help you enjoy biking to work:
- Have your bike checked over by your local bike shop
- Always wear a helmet to protect your head in the event of a crash
- Ride in the right-most lane that goes in the direction that you are travelling
- Obey all stop signs, traffic lights and lane markings
- Look before you change lanes or signal a turn; indicate your intention, then act
- Be visible and predictable at all times; wear bright clothing and signal turns