I don’t know what happened here…

…I’m just glad I wasn’t waiting for a bus.

atwells bus stop

It actually looks like the wind might have knocked it over. It doesn’t appear to actually be damaged in any way. It would be nice if someone actually removed it or better yet, fixed it, rather than just putting down cones and wrapping it in caution tape.

, , ,

21 Responses to I don’t know what happened here…

1. carfreepvd February 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

“Putting a cone on it” is the Providence equivalent of Portlandia’s “putting a bird on it.”

2. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

OhEmGee, I totally need a “put a cone on it” t-shirt now!

3. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Plus I almost landed on my ass here as this is the only sidewalk remaining on Atwells that still has ice on it, ice which this morning was covered in a layer of fluff so I could not see it (this sidewalk is adjacent to a city owned park by the by).

4. carfreepvd February 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

What a sad little pothole. I know, I’ll put a cone on it. Did you see this pothole before? I didn’t, Now there’s a cone, pointing to the sky. Got a manhole cover missing? Just put a cone in the hole and the let the day-glo orange brighten your commute. Bus shelter knocked over? A few cones will cheer things up. Put a cone on it!

5. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

I wish I had had the forethought to title this post, “Put a cone on it.”

6. Peter Brassard February 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

The Atwells Avenue bus shelter appears from the photo to have been anchored into two or three inch thick concrete blocks . In most areas of the state, the Rhode Island Building Code requires a minimum footing of 40 inches in depth for freestanding structures, which includes buildings, sheds, and decks.

How many other bus shelters throughout the city and state are attached in the manner of the Atwells Avenue bus shelter that failed?

7. Jen coleslaw February 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Please make a ‘ put a cone on it’ shirt design

8. Peter Brassard February 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

Maybe I’m being too serious about this, but if there was no fence, someone could have really been hurt, if they were behind the structure when it blew.

When were these shelters installed? Was it 10 or 15 years ago? Who was the contractor? What were the installation specifications?

9. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

No you’re not being too serious, it looks like someone could have been seriously hurt, and it still looks like someone could be hurt were there not a collection of cones on scene to protect us.

This particular shelter is actually maybe a year old or less. It arrived relatively recently. It is an outbound stop, which usually don’t get shelters due to the commuter-centric thinking on these things. I.e. people commuting from work get off outbound and walk away, they don’t need shelters.

However, this one is across from Dominica Manor and many of the residents there wait at this stop to catch buses out to Walgreens and Price-Rite. Of course, the elderly patrons of this stop make this situation (and the ice that has been on the sidewalk since Boxing Day) doubly serious.

I didn’t really stop to inspect the scene too well, but I think what you are seeing there is that the shelter is screwed into the bricks which form the sidewalk, nothing more.

10. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Actually, let’s scan right and enhance:

Yes, attached to the bricks and it looks like the screws actually came out of one of the bricks.

It totally had to be the wind we had the other day, there is no damage to the shelter, there’s no sign a car hit it.

Sorry for the blurriness, I was using the HDR setting on my phone and my hands were shaking.

11. Peter Brassard February 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

The flange of the shelter feet shouldn’t be anchored into bricks at all.

There should be either threaded rod that imbeded into a 40 inch deep concrete footing to attach the shelter to or if anchors are used the anchors should be set into a 40 inch footing.

Nothing like this was done with this installation.

Imagine if the wind was coming from the other direction and someone or several people were waiting in the shelter.

12. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Someone flipped it back into its upright position. So now it is just sitting there attached to nothing.

I made RIPTA aware of it via the “Contact Us” form on their site.

13. Jef Nickerson February 21, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

I also sent a letter to Mike Holmes.

14. Peter Brassard February 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

A city building inspector should investigate the shelter’s condition and construction, and possibly the equivalent for the state, since it’s property of a state agency. RIPTA may have been unaware of how this shelter(s) was installed, since the installation was likely bid out to a contractor. Also, since the installation wasn’t an actual building and was for a state agency, there may not have been a building permit application made to the city, hence no inspection of the work.

15. Jef Nickerson February 22, 2011 at 10:20 am #

RIPTA is talking to Lamar (the company which installs and maintains the shelters) about this site. They’ve temporarily secured it to the fence due to the ground being frozen and being unable to pour more secure footings.

It is a valiant effort, but I don’t think Mike Holmes would approve of this:

16. Jef Nickerson February 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

RIPTA and Lamar (the company that places the shelters) have decided that they will remove this shelter until spring. When the ground thaws they will lay a concrete pad or some other footing to properly secure the shelter. In the interim, there will be no shelter and RIPTA will put up a bus stop sign.

17. Jef Nickerson March 2, 2011 at 9:56 am #

The bus shelter is gone:

See you in the spring bus shelter.

Someone might want to put some cones on those spikes marking off the broken bricks.

1. upgraded | Car-Free in PVD - March 21, 2011

[…] A few weeks ago, I suggested that Providence adopt the phrase “put a cone on it” as our alternative to Portlandia’s “put a bird on it” since it seems to be the preferred solution for “fixing” a pothole. On my recent ride home the other day, I discovered that the super-sized version of “put a cone on it” is to “stick a barrel in it.” […]

2. Putting a cone on the Rhode Island Mall | Greater City: Providence - March 24, 2011

[…] For an explanation on the title of this post, see this comment. […]

3. Put a cone on it…. the Chicago way | Car-Free in PVD - June 6, 2011

[…] previously documented the Providence phenomenon of “putting a cone on it.” Much like the hip crafters of Portlandia like to put a bird on most anything in order to make it […]

4. My Storm Photos | Greater City: Providence - June 9, 2011

[…] over the winter the bus stop across the street blew away, and last night this one, at Dominica Manor on Atwells had a giant tree fall on it. Someone wants […]