UPDATED: Possible project at Parcel 12

parcel-12

Image from Bing Maps

The so-called ‘triangle-parcel’ in Capital Center adjacent to Burnside Park could soon see a new development.

On the October 9th agenda of the Providence Redevelopment Authority is a:

Motion to approve lease with option to purchase Parcel 12 located at 5 Exchange Street, to First Bristol Corporation.

According to the Minutes of the PRA July 10th meeting , the lease would be for the construction of a hotel. First Bristol are the owners of the Hampton Inn & Suites on Weybosset Street.

The last proposed development on Parcel 12 was way back in 2006 when The Carpionato Group also proposed a hotel on the site. Let’s hope this one is a little less ugly.

Update: ProJo reports:

The company envisions a six-story building with 120 suites, with an estimated cost of $18 million to $20 million, Karam said.

First Bristol seems to be leaning toward an extended stay hotel concept.

, , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to UPDATED: Possible project at Parcel 12

1. Brendan October 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

Exciting prospect. There was a crew on the site today with a drill rig. They might have been doing soil tests.

2. Jef Nickerson October 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm #

Before river relocation, the Woonasquatucket went right through this parcel, and the confluence was at the southern edge of it, so my understanding is this parcel has a lot of sub-surface issues.

3. Steve October 6, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

“…less ugly” — and at least as tall. A nicely done 14-18 floor structure would really complete the immediate area’s density.

Glad that the Carpionato Group is out of this.

First I heard of the sub-surface issues…hope for the best.

4. Mark Moreno October 6, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

What ever happened to the hotel proposal that would be built where the Fogarty building is?

5. Steve October 6, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

That is the Procaccianti Group.

As far as I know, that is on track as an extended stay hotel…nothing like what would go in the triangle.

6. Coryndon October 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

Good news for momentum on improving kennedy and burn side parks.

7. Andy October 6, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

Though a long awaited prospect, looking back, I’m so happy we didn’t let that design from 2005 to ever be built. Those balconies alone…bleh! I’m hopeful that a new design will utilize the entire vertical real-estate, if not create some sort of plaza, gathering space, etc.

Fingers crossed on this one.

8. Andy October 6, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

What’s more, if we can built the Turks Head on Westminster and Weybosset and the Flat Iron in NYC, one can hope with modern technologies that we can fill in this triangle-void in the heart of our city and with a more promising design.

9. Andy October 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

build* not built.

###

10. David Rocha October 7, 2014 at 2:02 am #

I think that previous design could have been gorgeous if you took away a majority of the balconies, and if quality materials were used. To be honest, I’m a little afraid to be optimistic about what mught be proposed. Extra costs for the foundation could eat into the budget for aesthetic quality, not to be a negative-Nancy.
    Either way, I AM glad that this lot is being seiously looked at for development.

11. Sam October 7, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

If it’s a hotel, what does it need a bunch of balconies for anyway? Give me something with a nice clean look, I’ll be happy

12. Johnny October 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

FINALLY, I drive by this site everyday and say to myself why would any other parcel in the city be developed before this one. Its in a PERFECT location. Cannot wait to see a rendering.

13. KCB November 11, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

Why the hate for balconies? I feel like balconies (and people on them), make the City feel less vacant.

14. Anthony December 16, 2014 at 11:49 am #